Wednesday, January 17, 2007

FIRST Club



Shame AND pride fill me, when I tell the story of the FIRST Club...

One of my best friends, Sela, is touched. Simply, there are two of her and her alternate personality is one in which she's 40, eats vanilla fudge for breakfast, because it fights cancer, has 3 untamed boys who don't pay attention to the fact that their whites are brighter because she got a Baking Soda Tip, does crossword puzzles with the names of Soap Opera stars and giggles over pictures of kittens hissing at fuzzy ducks.

This mid-aged, mid-American woman subscribes to FIRST Magazine For Women and well... my new (her old) friend Rachel, Margarie, er, uh, Sela and I are making a monthly event of the arrival of said subscription. And how better to commemorate? Cupcakes. Cupcakes with FC written in pink icing, no less.

That's right- PINK ICING. I defy you to come up with a better treat to bring to such an event.

1 comment:

sesa said...

Hello. Margorie here. I am a homemaker and, on the weekends, a choir director at my church. I enjoy martha stewart living, catholic hymns, attending my bouquet arrangement class with my daughter, and making homemade pies for my husband of 24 years (we were high school sweethearts -- he, the starting quarterback and I, capitain of the cheerleading squad). Naturally, we went to college together, although I dropped out to raise my daughter while my husband finished his ROTC duties. We have two children, both grown adults who are a vision of God's glorious love, and a grandson, whose nationality we can't quite figure out (My husband says he's just half Asian but I think he's a special Asian, like maybe Cantonese or something... They're the people that write fortune cookie fortunes, right?). Either way, we love him dearly despite the fact that his father, our son-in-law, was not raised in a Christian home. Our grandson will go to heaven, though, like the Bible says: If it's your own kid, you're fine. But if he's a foreigner, then he's screwed.

I just love that saying so much, I painted it onto a decorative sign that I made in a pottery class and have it hanging right next to my bed.