Friday, May 23, 2008

Encouragement



I have tattoos.  A bunch, by most standards.  I love them.  I love them deeply and dearly.  Each and every needle-stroke (okay, the one I got at 18 is corny, but those after, are the ones to which I'm referring) is part of an artistic plan that my tattoo artist and I, devised.  I adore how they look, how they make me look and how I feel with them covering me.


But I still feel insecure sometimes.  I feel insecure that people will think I'm harsh, unapproachable, aggressive.  I post pictures of Kat Von D, because she inspires me.


Kat (and if you watch L.A. Ink, you'll know what I mean) is so tender.  She's ravishing, she wears red lipstick almost every day, she dresses incredibly sexily, she's unbelievably talented and she's positively covered in tattoos.  When I feel like people might be afraid of me and I feel like I'm shrinking away from the things I love, in order to be smaller and more approachable, I think of Kat.  I think of Pixie.  I think of Hannah and Kim.  These women who are far more tattooed than I am, and who seemingly embrace their fire.  I aspire to be so ferociously present.  So ferociously me.


1 comment:

Amina Hafiz Sarraf said...

I love your tattoos too! They are totally you. I've admired them for years. My favorite (that I've seen IRL) is the lily.